On August 28th, 2016, Mark Dever preached from 2 John 1:12-13 at Capitol Hill Baptist Church. In the sermon, Mark provided 12 questions to ask before posting on the internet:
1. Will it edify? Will it significantly inform a useful conversation?
2. Will it easily be misunderstood? Email is a terrible place to give negative feedback.
3. Will it reach the right audience?
4. Will it help my evangelism?
5. Will it bring up unhelpful controversy? Will this controversy threaten the unity of this local church?
6. Will it embarrass or offend?
7. Will it convey care?
8. Will it make people better appreciate someone else?
9. Is it boasting? Proverbs 27:2
10. Does it draw more attention to yourself or to your topic? Consider sharing something embarrassing.
11. Is the tone appropriate? Is it wrong to say nothing?
12. What do others advise? Proverbs 11, 15, 24
2 John 1:12-13:
Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink. Instead I hope to come to you and talk face to face, so that our joy may be complete. The children of your elect sister greet you.
You can listen to the entire message here.